Movie Freaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Jim Jarmusch

Go down 
5 posters

What's you favorite Jarmusch movie?
 Permanent Vacation
 Stranger Than Paradise
 Down by Law
 Mystery Train
 Night on Earth
 Dead Man
 Ghost Dog
 Coffee and Cigarettes
 Broken Flowers
View results
AuthorMessage
Chrisy
Squared eyes Admin
Chrisy

Jim Jarmusch Empty
PostSubject: Jim Jarmusch   Jim Jarmusch Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 11:40 am

Jim Jarmusch

One of my favorite director. I love all his movies. I love this way he has to tell very simple stories without been boring. There is always perfect humour, perfect dialogues, perfect natural acting, perfect music, perfect atmosphere and this little jazzzy touch that only he can do Smile

Jim Jarmusch Jim_jarmusch_372x280

Permanent Vacation (1980)
IMDB

Quote :
In downtown Manhattan, a twenty-something boy ('Chris Parker' )whose Father is not around and whose Mother is institutionalized, is a big Charlie Parker fan. He almost subconsciously searches for more meaning in his life and meets a few characters along the way.

Jim Jarmusch 380961.1020.A

His first movie. Also his less good. Only to be watched if you are a fan. It's more slow and more dark than what he did after. But you can recognise the style. So it is like a preview of his future master work Smile

Stranger Than Paradise (1984)
IMDB

Quote :
This is about a self-styled New York hipster (John Lurie of the Lounge Lizards) who is paid a suprise and quite unwelcome visit by his pretty sixteen-year-old Hungarian cousin. From initial hostility and indifference a strange affection grows between the two exiles. Due to complete boredom they decide to visit their aunt in the wastelands of Cleveland and then proceed to sunny Florida where they lose all their money and unwittingly gain a fortune. With a final ironic twist, they are at the end, back where they began.

Jim Jarmusch Screens_DVDwatch

Love this one, love the filming, the dialogues, the long scenes without been one second boring. ouhhhh I put a spell on you....
Very Happy

Last edited by Chrisy on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:30 am; edited 10 times in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=24908114
Chrisy
Squared eyes Admin
Chrisy

Jim Jarmusch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Jarmusch   Jim Jarmusch Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 11:47 am

Down by Law (1986)
IMDB

Quote :
DJ Zack and pimp Jack end up in prison for being too laid-back to avoid being framed for crimes they didn't commit. They end up sharing a cell with eccentric Italian optimist Roberto, whose limited command of the English language is both entertaining and infuriating -but rather more useful to them is the fact that Roberto knows an escape route

Jim Jarmusch B00005JKFX.01.LZZZZZZZ

MASTERPIECE - Anyone who didn't see this movie should be a shame. Felt in love with it. Everything is brilliant, it's funny, touching, and rare, the actors are having sooo much fun, you can feel it all movie long, a pure pleisure to watch
Brilliant soundtrack as well
Smile

Mystery Train (1989)
IMDB

Quote :
A Japanese couple obsessed with 1950s America goes to Memphis because the male half of the couple emulates Carl Perkins. Chance encounters link three different stories in the city, with the common thread being the seedy hotel where they are all staying.

Jim Jarmusch 200px-Mystery_Train

Love this one and the attachment you get of this couple, the scenes are all beautifull as usual with Jarmusch

Last edited by Chrisy on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:32 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chrisy
Squared eyes Admin
Chrisy

Jim Jarmusch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Jarmusch   Jim Jarmusch Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 12:00 pm

Night on Earth (1991)
IMDB

Quote :
A collection of five stories involving cab drivers in five different cities. Los Angeles - A talent agent for the movies discovers her cab driver would be perfect to cast, but the cabbie is reluctant to give up her solid cab driver's career. New York - An immigrant cab driver is continually lost in a city and culture he doesn't understand. Paris - A blind girl takes a ride with a cab driver from the Ivory Coast and they talk about life and blindness. Rome - A gregarious cabbie picks up an ailing man and virtually talks him to death. Helsinki - an industrial worker gets laid off and he and his compatriots discuss the bleakness and unfairness of love and life and death.

Jim Jarmusch 401_box_348x490

Love this one (for a change Very Happy ) and especially this scene: one of my favorite dialogue in a movie. I laughed sooo much with that scene

Quote :
Yoyo: What's you name, man?
Helmut Grokenberger: Helmut Grokenberger.
[pointing to his cab license]
Helmut Grokenberger: Here, you can read it. That's me.
Yoyo: Helmet?
Helmut Grokenberger: Helmut.
Yoyo: That's your name?
Helmut Grokenberger: Yeah.
Yoyo: Ha ha ha ha ha. That's a fucked up name to be namin' your kid! Helmet! See, 'cause in English, a helmet would be like, you know, like something you would wear on your head, you know? You a... a helmet! Ha ha ha! In English, that would be like callin' your kid, uh, "Lampshade" or some shit like that: 'Hey, Lampshade! Come here and clean up your room!' Ha ha ha ha ha!
Helmut Grokenberger: So, what's your name?
Yoyo: Yoyo.
Helmut Grokenberger: What?
Yoyo: Yoyo. That's my name.
Helmut Grokenberger: ...is Ihr Name?
Yoyo: What? Yoyo.
Helmut Grokenberger: Yoyo. Yoyo.
[laughing]
Helmut Grokenberger: Yoyo. Yoyo, das ist Spielzeug für Kinder.
Yoyo: It ain't got nothin' to do with that. It's my name. Yoyo.
Helmut Grokenberger: It's a toy for kids, Yoyo.
Yoyo: Ain't got nothin' to do with that, man.
Helmut Grokenberger: Okay. Your name Yoyo, my name Helmut. Yoyo, Helmut. It's good.

Last edited by Chrisy on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:33 am; edited 3 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chrisy
Squared eyes Admin
Chrisy

Jim Jarmusch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Jarmusch   Jim Jarmusch Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 12:06 pm

Dead Man (1995)

Quote :
Dead Man is the story of a young man's journey, both physically and spiritually, into very unfamiliar terrain. William Blake travels to the extreme western frontiers of America sometime in the 2nd half of the 19th century. Lost and badly wounded, he encounters a very odd, outcast Native American, named "Nobody," who believes Blake is actually the dead English poet of the same name. The story, with Nobody's help, leads William Blake through situations that are in turn comical and violent. Contrary to his nature, circumstances transform Blake into a hunted outlaw, a killer, and a man whose physical existence is slowly slipping away. Thrown into a world that is cruel and chaotic, his eyes are opened to the fragility that defines the realm of the living. It is as though he passes through the surface of a mirror, and emerges into a previously-unknown world that exists on the other side.

IMDB

My favorite one Very Happy (equally with Down by Law I think). So many references and little touches in this movie. It's strange, original, funny, poetic. And Iggy Pop as Salvatore 'Sally' Jenko ha ha ha BRILLIANT Twisted Evil

Jim Jarmusch Affiche-Dead-Man-1995-1

Last edited by Chrisy on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:35 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chrisy
Squared eyes Admin
Chrisy

Jim Jarmusch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Jarmusch   Jim Jarmusch Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 12:10 pm

Ghost Dog: The Way of the Samurai
IMDB

Quote :
In Jersey City, an African American hit man follows "Hagakure: The Way of the Samurai." He lives alone, in simplicity with homing pigeons for company, calling himself Ghost Dog. His master, who saved his life eight years ago, is part of the local mob. When the boss' daughter witnesses one of Ghost Dog's hits, he becomes expendable. The first victims are his birds, and in response, Ghost Dog goes right at his attackers but does not want to harm his master or the young woman. On occasion, he talks with his best friend, a French-speaking Haitian who sells ice cream in the park, and with a child with whom he discusses books. Can he stay true to his code? And if he does, what is his fate?

Jim Jarmusch Ghostp

Not his best, was a bit desapointed when I saw it but I have very high expectations with Jarmusch so it remains a very nice movie Smile

Coffee and Cigarettes (2003)
IMDB

Quote :
A comic series of short vignettes built on one another to create a cumulative effect, as the characters discuss things as diverse as caffeine popsicles, Paris in the '20s, and the use of nicotine as an insecticide--all the while sitting around sipping coffee and smoking cigarettes. As director Jim Jarmusch delves into the normal pace of our world from an extraordinary angle, he shows just how absorbing the obsessions, joys and addictions of life can be, if truly observed.

Jim Jarmusch Coffee-and-Cigarettes-Poster-C10287420

Not my favorite but the dialogues are amazing Smile

Last edited by Chrisy on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:36 am; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Chrisy
Squared eyes Admin
Chrisy

Jim Jarmusch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Jarmusch   Jim Jarmusch Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 12:25 pm

Broken Flowers (2005)
IMDB
Quote :

The resolutely single Don Johnston has just been dumped by his latest lover, Sherry. Don resigns himself to being alone yet again and left to his own devices. Instead, he is compelled to reflect on his past when he receives by mail a mysterious pink letter. It is from an anonymous former lover and informs him that he has a 19-year-old son who may now be looking for his father. Don is urged to investigate this "mystery" by his closest friend and neighbor, Winston, an amateur sleuth and family man. Hesitant to travel at all, Don nonetheless embarks on a cross-country trek in search of clues from four former flames. Unannounced visits to each of these unique women hold new surprises for Don as he haphazardly confronts both his past and, consequently, his present.

Jim Jarmusch Broken-flowers

Really like this one too although, again it cannot bit Dead Man or Down by law (I wonder if it ever can Razz ). But the story is really nice and Bill Murray is perfect Smile

Last edited by Chrisy on Fri Oct 31, 2008 10:37 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Chrisy
Squared eyes Admin
Chrisy

Jim Jarmusch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Jarmusch   Jim Jarmusch Icon_minitimeSat Apr 12, 2008 12:38 pm

He also made a short called INT Trailer Night
You can see it here TOPIC

Also a documentary called Year of the Horse about Neil Young. Nice docu but you must like the music to watch it Wink
IMDB

And his next movie will be out it 2009, I talk about it HERE

o, and I added a little poll to see which one you like the most Very Happy
Back to top Go down
labrat
Devil’s Advocate
Devil’s Advocate
labrat

Jim Jarmusch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Jarmusch   Jim Jarmusch Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 8:41 am

COFFEE AND CIGARETTES!!!

no doubt!!! FTW!!!
Back to top Go down
misssans
Enema Killer
Enema Killer
misssans

Jim Jarmusch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Jarmusch   Jim Jarmusch Icon_minitimeTue Jul 15, 2008 10:12 am

Coffee and Cigarettes! But also broken flowers and stranger than paradise!
Back to top Go down
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=11273879
pitr
Dikkenek
Dikkenek

Jim Jarmusch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Jarmusch   Jim Jarmusch Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 6:29 am

only seen broken flowers and ghost dog, liked them both a lot...
(but prefering the soundstrack of ghost dog) Wink
Back to top Go down
Kryll
Bernie
Bernie
Kryll

Jim Jarmusch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Jarmusch   Jim Jarmusch Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 6:54 am

youtube-clips of the following are not viewable :

Down by Law (1986)
Night on Earth (1991)
Broken Flowers (2005)

i myself only saw Broken Flowers, couple of time back
not bad movie, but not enough to say it's the best i ever saw Razz

i have Dead Man lying here though, on my local drivev Smile
Back to top Go down
http://users.telenet.be/kryll
Chrisy
Squared eyes Admin
Chrisy

Jim Jarmusch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Jarmusch   Jim Jarmusch Icon_minitimeFri Oct 31, 2008 10:44 am

Kryll wrote:
youtube-clips of the following are not viewable :

Down by Law (1986)
Night on Earth (1991)
Broken Flowers (2005)

Couldn't find the trailer from Permanent Vacation anymore but the others have been updated, they should work now Smile

Kryll wrote:

i myself only saw Broken Flowers, couple of time back
not bad movie, but not enough to say it's the best i ever saw Razz

i have Dead Man lying here though, on my local drivev Smile

You never saw Dead Man? affraid
Go watch it now Razz
Dead man is really good, almost like a mystical experience Very Happy

Broken Flower is not his best movie imo, I like his earlier work much more yess

My order of preference:

Dead Man
Down by Law (go watch it now, this movie is a pure pleisure, I adore this movie)
Night on Earth
Mystery Train
Coffee and Cigarettes
Broken Flowers
Stranger Than Paradise
Ghost Dog
Permanent Vacation
Back to top Go down
Kryll
Bernie
Bernie
Kryll

Jim Jarmusch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Jarmusch   Jim Jarmusch Icon_minitimeFri Nov 07, 2008 12:49 am

okay, cool Smile

thanks for the new embed's
will check in a bit

for the moment too little time with school
so will take a while before i'll get to see Dead Man
Back to top Go down
http://users.telenet.be/kryll
Sponsored content

Jim Jarmusch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jim Jarmusch   Jim Jarmusch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Jim Jarmusch