Movie Freaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation"

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chrisy
Squared eyes Admin
Chrisy

Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation" Empty
PostSubject: Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation"   Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 12:19 pm

"V: The Second Generation"

IMDB

Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation" Vsecondgenrf9

Quote :
V: THE SECOND GENERATION

“You don't see them f***ing each other over for a goddamn percentage!” Ripley famously Burke the yuppie in Aliens back in 1986. This is exactly what the invaders in the TV mini-series V made humanity do three years earlier . . .

It was 1983 and the world was glued to their television sets watching V, a mini-series in which aliens pretending to be humanity’s friends and benefactors slowly took over political power by duping us into actually helping them!

As far as celluloid alien invaders went, the so-called “Visitors” in V were pretty clever. Ultimately they invaded Earth without firing a single shot. Unlike the lot in Independence Day they didn’t blow up most of the planet in the process. They weren’t hydrophobic dumb asses like the lot in M. Night Shyamalan’s Signs either (why invade a planet which surface is mostly covered by water if it actually kills you?). Actually it was our water which the Visitors were interested in. Water which is scarce on their home planet and is required to power their giant flying saucer-shaped spaceships.

Instead the Visitors seemed to be have been studying 20th Century history and took a leaf from the rise of the Nazis in Germany and the Fascists in Italy. Claiming to bring technological advancements for the betterment of humanity, they however soon starting making up all kinds of plots which were apparently being dreamt up by their enemies. Stalin used the same tactic to crack down on political dissidents — both real and imaginary. Pretty soon all kinds of civil liberties are suspended as the equivalent of Hitler youth gangs patrol the streets. Like all good sci-fi, the mini-series was a clear allegory of WWII era Vichy France with the aliens (or Visitors) as the Nazis and Earth itself as occupied France.

Pretty soon a human Resistance arises upon discovering the truth about the aliens. Despite pretending to be human, they are actually reptiles who subsist on a diet of live mice and, yup, human flesh. And all they are interested in is plundering Earth’s natural resources. But there always human collaborators willing to sell out their fellow man — just as was the case in WWII Europe.

"Writer Kenneth Johnson wants to remake his V mini-series as a movie . . ."

The Second World War angle and iconography (V stands for Victory as it did back then) was what made V interesting viewing. This, plus the fact that even though the characters were cardboard cutouts and the story littered with plot holes, which V made for some pretty action-packed viewing.

V the miniseries was followed by another series titled V – The Final Battle (in 1984) and by a TV series titled just V (1984-1985). In V – The Final Battle humans defeated the Visitors by using a biological weapon. However not all the Visitors were killed and in the TV series the Visitors develop immunity to it with the help of humans and the fight resumes.

Now more than twenty years later comes V – The Second Generation, a book sequel to the original V. Kenneth Johnson novelized the script whilst NBC dragged its feet for two years whether deciding to do a new mini-series. The mini-series seems to be a no-go Johnson revealed to The Sci-Fi Movie Page in an exclusive interview. Instead he is actually planning a V movie remake (to which he still holds the rights) to be followed by a movie sequel based on the V – The Second Generation novel.

The novel of V – The Second Generation largely ignores the events of both V – The Final Battle and the later V TV series. Instead it follows up on the original V mini-series. It is twenty years or so since the events depicted in the mini-series. Humanity has been under absolute Visitor control in that time. Much of the planet’s oceans have dwindled away thanks to the Visitors. A vicious purge in 1999 by Diana, the leader of the Visitors, has incapacitated the Resistance.

However, the distress signal sent off into outer space by the Resistance has been answered. Three aliens claiming to belong to the insectoid race opposed to the Visitors make an appearance. There seems to be hope, sort of. The insect aliens have fought the Visitors to a stalemate in the past and their space fleet hiding near the planet of Saturn is awaiting attack orders. Will the insectoids be able to defeat the Visitors this time around? And more importantly, can humanity trust them?

V – The Second Generation will seem familiar to fans of the original show. It has the human resistance fighting what appears to be a hopeless fight against the alien invaders with lots of narrow escapes and set-backs and the like. Characterization is kept to a minimum as always, something which makes keeping track of the large cast difficult on the printed page. Events would be easier to follow if V – The Second Generation were ever to be filmed. However, the book is slow-going and at times confusing to follow during its first half.

Things however pick up and V – The Second Generation becomes a great nail-biter of an airport read half-way through. V – The Second Generation may lack the sort of hard SF ideas that make the work of writers like Charles Stross, but that isn’t the point. It is the junk food of sci-fi. But there is nothing wrong with that. If you’re looking for some easy escapist holiday beach-side reading then it is perfect. It will also make for some great junk food television or even a movie too. No if only someone will please give Kenneth Johnson the money he needs to make it all happen . . .
Back to top Go down
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=24908114
labrat
Devil’s Advocate
Devil’s Advocate
labrat

PostSubject: Re: Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation"   Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation" Icon_minitimeWed Jul 09, 2008 9:44 pm

Evil or Very Mad

V was pure cult genious... WHY OH WHY for the love of god do they have to make a "sequel" to this series!!!

oh, the nostalgic memories I have of "V"...

we´ll see what this will lead to... but personally I have a sincere disliking towards "remakes" and "sequels", and the same goes for this series...
Back to top Go down
Chrisy
Squared eyes Admin
Chrisy

PostSubject: Re: Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation"   Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation" Icon_minitimeThu Jul 10, 2008 9:32 am

I would normally say the same thing with movies, but for for TV series, I'll wait and see.
For example the sequel of Battlestar Galactica is really good yess
Back to top Go down
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=24908114
labrat
Devil’s Advocate
Devil’s Advocate
labrat

PostSubject: Re: Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation"   Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation" Icon_minitimeFri Jul 18, 2008 7:47 am

Chrisy wrote:
I would normally say the same thing with movies, but for for TV series, I'll wait and see.
For example the sequel of Battlestar Galactica is really good yess

true...

we'll see... we'll see...
Back to top Go down
anomaly
Little Miss Sunshine
Little Miss Sunshine
anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation"   Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 5:38 am

omg, i was like 14 or 15 when this first came on tv. I LOVED it back then. Still remember the girl with the alien fiancee giving birth to the twins...
Back to top Go down
labrat
Devil’s Advocate
Devil’s Advocate
labrat

PostSubject: Re: Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation"   Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 7:53 am

anomaly wrote:
omg, i was like 14 or 15 when this first came on tv. I LOVED it back then. Still remember the girl with the alien fiancee giving birth to the twins...

yeah... it came on after "Ron's Honeymoonquiz"... Laughing you watched that too? Very Happy

... I did! Razz
Back to top Go down
anomaly
Little Miss Sunshine
Little Miss Sunshine
anomaly

PostSubject: Re: Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation"   Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation" Icon_minitimeTue Aug 19, 2008 1:08 pm

Quote :

yeah... it came on after "Ron's Honeymoonquiz"... you watched that too?

errrr, no... "Ron's Honeymoonquiz", sounds like i really missed out on something there... :p
Back to top Go down
decay
Stranger than Paradise
Stranger than Paradise
decay

PostSubject: Re: Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation"   Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation" Icon_minitimeSun Sep 07, 2008 10:37 am

There is some of the old cast in it so it can't be that bad I hope.

Recently seen the series again and I still like it a lot and hope they do a good job for the new series.
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/sinisteracoustics
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation"   Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation" Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Coming soon in 2009 - "V: The Second Generation"
Page 1 of 1