Movie Freaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

I Heart Huckabees (2004)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
Mataklap
Menace II Society
Menace II Society
Mataklap

I Heart Huckabees (2004) Empty
PostSubject: I Heart Huckabees (2004)   I Heart Huckabees (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 2:10 pm

An existential comedy.

Quote :
A husband-and-wife team play detective, but not in the traditional sense. Instead, the happy duo helps others solve their existential issues, the kind that keep you up at night, wondering what it all means.

Quote :
Determined to solve the coincidence of seeing the same conspicuous stranger three times in a day, Albert hires a pair of existentialist detectives, who insist on spying on his everyday life while sharing their views on life and the nature of the universe.

I Heart Huckabees (2004) Huckabees

Quote :

There is only one word I can use to describe this "existensial comedy" by David O. Russell: insane. Here is a comedy with no real rules. A sense of brilliant madness lurks within every scene. Emotions run wild, actions are poorly motivated, people have no idea just what the hell they are doing! This is to be said about certain characters played by Jason Schwartzman, Jude Law, Mark Wahlberg, and Naomi Watts. These are characters who are in deep need of answers to their existence, and who are playing with ideas that they are not quite ready to tackle. But then you have Dustin Hoffman, Lily Tomlin, and Isabelle Huppert just kind of watching by the sidelines as the more experienced characters. By the end of the movie I couldn't help but think of how many other clients of theirs went through similar conflicts. That's the ultimate punchline. What a delight I Heart Huckabees is!

This is in no way at all your average comedy. Many philosophical theories are brought up throughout the film, but it's all done in a "fun" way. The film doesn't follow and preach any of the theories, only its characters do. I thought that was important because, well, that's what makes it so funny. It does not take itself seriously.

The acting is very...interesting. You have the younger actors like Wahlberg and Schwartzman really, really trying hard in hilariously over-the-top performances. To the exact opposite of that, you have Hoffman and Tomlin who don't even really try that hard at all. They don't have to. They're pros- actor wise and character wise. This imbalance in mood just adds and adds to the overflowing madness of I Heart Huckabees.

There is a lot of things wrong with the movie that seem to make it funnier and all the more enjoyable to watch. I had a smile on my face through the whole thing. I Heart Huckabees is indeed an acquired taste. People will love it, people will hate it, people will be totally indifferent to it, but I have no doubt that it will find its following.

I really really love this film.... there are many deep philosophical issues brought up in the film, but all in a very light way... well, the review above kind of says it all, really. Watch!

Last edited by Mataklap on Thu Apr 17, 2008 2:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
http://www.myspace.com/mataklap
misssans
Enema Killer
Enema Killer
misssans

I Heart Huckabees (2004) Empty
PostSubject: Re: I Heart Huckabees (2004)   I Heart Huckabees (2004) Icon_minitimeThu Apr 17, 2008 2:15 pm

I've seen it and liked it! It was kinda weird but still nice!

7/10
Back to top Go down
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=11273879

I Heart Huckabees (2004)
Page 1 of 1