Movie Freaks
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

HomePortalSearchLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Carandiru (2003)

Go down 
2 posters
AuthorMessage
misssans
Enema Killer
Enema Killer
misssans

Carandiru (2003) Empty
PostSubject: Carandiru (2003)   Carandiru (2003) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 5:07 pm

Carandiru by Hector Babenco

Carandiru (2003) Carandiru

I've seen this movie 8 times, last one this weekend! There are a few shots in this movies that gives me the goosebumps! So beautiful and yet so wrong!

What I find very interesting is that you really get to know the prisoners! Why they're in the hell called Carandiru.

Carandiru is based on a true story.

Quote :
This episodic story is set in São Paulo's notorious jail known as Carandiru, one of Latin America's largest and most violent prison systems.

The doctor (Luiz Carlos Vasconcelos) is an oncologist who arrives in the jail as a volunteer to test the prisoners for HIV infection.

Seeing the disease, overcrowding, and rampant circulation of drugs, the doctor realizes much of the prison is controlled by the inmates. They decorate their cells and have an established pecking order. The strong inhabit messy individual suites, and the weak are jammed together, as many as sixteen sharing a 100-square-foot cell.

Several narratives develop in the film: the attempted murder of Peixeira (Milhem Cortaz), the solitary confinement of Chico (Milton Gonįalves), and the romance between Lady Di (Rodrigo Santoro) and No Way (Gero Camilo).

The doctor establishes a routine and comes to see the prisoners as survivors.

The picture ends with a violent prison riot that historically took place on October 2, 1992. The riot became known as the Carandiru Massacre.

Quote :
'Carandiru' is a film based on the real experiences of Dr Drauzio Varella. He worked in Carandiru prison in Sao Paulo, Brazil, in the late 80s/early 90s carrying out Aids prevention work. During his work he came to know a lot of the inmates closely, and as he was a doctor got to see prison life in a way the other prison workers didn't. He made friends with a lot of the inmates, and learned a lot of their personal stories. The prison is extremely cramped, and the situation came to a climax in 1992. One entire block of the prison fell under prisoner control and a riot squad was sent in, killing 111 men.

The film is being dubbed by some as "this year's City of God", but it's very different to last years Brazillian smash. Where 'City of God' had some very flashy direction and MTV-ized zip-bang editing, 'Carandiru' is pretty straight forward. The film still has some great direction though, Hector Babenco has a leisurely style (matched by his actual output, it's been 7 years since his last film, and nearly 20 since 'Ironweed'), allowing the story the space it needs to breathe but still picking up the pace to build tension. Ironically the only section of the film I didn't really like was the bit that was the most 'City of God'-like. When the doctor is dealing with his patients he asks each one what their story is, and sometimes it's a bit forced, just like in 'City of God' with the "now it's my turn to tell you my story".

Where it's very similar to 'City of God' is it's themes - it's essentially a humanist comedy with a moral edge, dealing with love, hate, revenge, innocence and betrayal. The cons are poor and murderous, but lovable at the same time. If this film and 'City of God' are to believed drug-dealing thieving murderers all have their hearts in the right place and are all okay guys who just took a wrong turn on the road.

There's a bit of a stink being kicked up at the moment on the imdb forum for 'Carandiru'. A lot of Brazillian's are posting, very upset with filmmakers consistently showing Brazil in a negative light. I think that although both films do have that slant to them, they have actually increased interested in the country, and even more so the countries film output, taking it to a global audience. If all Scottish films are to be believed we're all a bunch of Glasweigan Gangster Hardnuts or heroin-addicted thieving murderers too, so I fail to see what the fuss is about.

The director drives home the real point of the film in the last 20 minutes. The overcrowding and in-fighting finally erupts into a full-blown riot that results in the main characters block being taken over by the prisoners. A riot squad enters, and the ensuing rampage is one of the most graphic and genuinely shocking ever committed to film. Definitely not for the faint-of-heart. I remember seeing the prison riot being reported in the UK news, and being appalled at how crowded the prison was, and how a government could let it reach boiling point like that. The last 20 minutes really smacked that home, but with the closing shots of the prison finally being demolished in 2002 you feel like there was at least some sort of closure on the tragedy.

The story is harrowing, but heart-warming, and the acting (mostly from unknowns) is top rate. It's my favorite film of the year so far, but do beware the last 20 minutes, you won't leave the cinema feeling happy.

RUN AND WATCH THIS MOVIE!
Back to top Go down
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=11273879
Chrisy
Squared eyes Admin
Chrisy

Carandiru (2003) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carandiru (2003)   Carandiru (2003) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 5:20 pm

This looks really nice and never heard of it
Thanks for the tip, I will look for it Smile
Back to top Go down
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=24908114
misssans
Enema Killer
Enema Killer
misssans

Carandiru (2003) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carandiru (2003)   Carandiru (2003) Icon_minitimeWed Apr 02, 2008 5:23 pm

No Problemo! This movie is in my 'best movies ever'top 10
Back to top Go down
http://www.imdb.com/mymovies/list?l=11273879
Sponsored content

Carandiru (2003) Empty
PostSubject: Re: Carandiru (2003)   Carandiru (2003) Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Carandiru (2003)
Page 1 of 1